Friday 23 November 2007

Anti Bullying Week.


Glen (my little brother) asked me to help him with his homework tonight. Into his 2nd year at the academy, he had been given two worksheets on Anti Bullying Week for PSE and was stuck with the question:

"If you were given a million pounds, how would you use it to diminish bullying in your school?"

It wasn't just because he didn't know what 'diminish' meant or that he couldn't be bothered to answer it himself, but because he didn't really see how money could help stop bullying in our school. To be honest I had to think about it for a moment too, before we started talking about what he thought the school should do to stop bullying- with or without the million pounds.

Glen has learning difficulties due to him having epilepsy when he was a toddler which means he doesn't really understand things as instantly as what you and I would. (You've just got to explain things to him in a way he'll understand better which, apparently I can do well seeing as I've spent most of my time with him) So, his thoughts on the subject were firstly that they should take all those classed as bullies out of schools and either shoot them, or "wheck them all on a desert island." Maybe a bit too harsh Glen I said, and encouraged him away from the violent, extremist actions. Quickly.

About ten minutes into listening to him and talking with him, it soon became clear he'd been paying attention in class and had made up his own mind about what schools could do if encouraged to stop bullying, which is great. He suggested that schools make seniors into buddies to help kids who were being bullied, and bullies could take part in workshops that would make them see how wrong it was- with use of the million pounds. The fact that Glen knew what could be done meant that teaching kids through Anti Bullying Week was actually successful in raising awareness for the cause.

We both agree that bullying is a horrible thing and that its about time teachers in schools were given back the discipline and respect they had once upon a time to deal with bullies accordingly. Maybe not as severe as shooting them on desert islands but enough to prevent as much bullying in schools as possible.

I left him to write up his own answers earlier and he's just given me the sheets to check over. Halfway down one page lies the question: "Have you ever been bullied in school?" to which he has scribbled underneath, "No, my sister does enough to me at home. ;)"

Siblings. You just cant win.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very interesting topic for a post - I must say that I haven't heard anything about Anti-bullying week myself!

Bullying is a very serious thing, and I know many people who have been torn apart by bullies. I think that the thing with bullies can't really be solved using money - sure, a million pounds could provide counselling etc, but I think that it is moer of a matter of courage and responsibility - I think that the bully's peers, should step in and speak out for the victim - bullies just need to be ignored, or such likes. I know this is the hardest way for it to be solved, but I think that it is the best. I have heard stories though, about this happening in real life - and the bully involved lost all the attention that he normally got - and turned to self harm for the attention that he craved. I think there needs to be a plan set to help to stop this from happening.

In regard to the last paragraph - I must say I would have written the same thing [ the word SISTER being the operative one] about my big brother who broke my finger!!!
:(

-Mikey
x

Liz O'Neill said...

I think what Mikey says is really perceptive. Quite often in school teachers aren't aware of bullying -or at least can't quite work out what has happened when there is an incident. On the other hand pupils usually have watched something develop and know exactly what happened. If pupils got together and showed bullies that they were aware of what was happening and willing to do something about it -it might just work...
Sometimes that can backfire however and you can end up in trouble too. But then again you might feel it was worth it!
On the sibling issue - I had a big brother who got bullied... I stopped it by biting the bully (quite badly) on the arm. Got into trouble for it but didn't regret it. Of course I'm not recommending biting as a possible strategy ;)But it does seem that when you have loyal friends or (aggressive siblings) you aren't at such a risk so maybe the buddying thing is a good idea. Do you think schools could do more?

Anonymous said...

I feel really thick right now, but could someone please remind me what perceptive means..? ;)

Yeahh, teachers are, I dare say, rarely informed about bullying, as you are then called a 'grass' or a 'wuss' or some much worse names.I do think that it would work, but I really don't think that this happens regularly! Maybe the money could be spent on some videos that were not produced by hippies about this kind of thing, or help to promote the idea.

I do agree, hitting (or biting ;) ) back often does work, but it is really lowering yourself to the bully's insecure level! And, of course, there is the chance that you will get battered back!

I am not really sure if schools could do more..

-Mikey

Jemma said...

I really think the idea of buddying could work. Provided it didn’t result in the Buddies fighting the bullies literally for the people they were buddying. (Is that a tad confusing or is it just me?) I feel sorry for teachers having to deal with bullying -hardly ever are they told the full story as, like Mikey said, that results in people being callec "grasses" or round here, clypes. (sp?)

Glen and I don’t fight that much thankfully, he is just really really really annoying at times… my patience has a limit, but it’s a big limit so things are cool. There was one time Glen got bullied back in primary which resulted in me having no lunchtimes for a month, alongside his bully… ;) shant go into details. We’re lucky these days as he’s now in an environment where there are more people like him and more people who are his friends at the Academy. (He’s in the Learning Centre most days)

What I really dislike is the whole million pounds thing, you cant just magic people and problems away with money. Educational videos do sound tempting though. Curses, I wish I’d had his homework to answer now.. Sadly, I think bullying is going to around forever, just the way in which it it is dealt with will change.

Mikey, I think -don’t quote me on this- perceptive means something like understanding or able to pick things out. Observant possibly?

Thanks for commenting guyyys! :)

Anonymous said...

I've just read your comment Jemma and imediately became interested. My oldest brother has learning difficulties and I'm sad to say he got bullied a little bit a primary school. But as he moved up through Secondary school and away from the people that were doing it to him he had a better school life. I am pleased to say that he finished his 6 years in secondary school and is now at university. But what I think is quite interesting is who the bullies are and what they're backgrouns are like. It's usually people who have been bullied before or who have family problems. If there is a lot of money to spare, why not spend it on helping the bullies themselves to solve their backgound problems. This may in turn lead to the reduction of victims of bullying.
It is an unfair world, and while there always will be people getting bullied, I think schools should be doing their best to solve the problem. It is one of the biggest problems in schools and I find it very upsetting when ou hear about someone getting bullied.

mikeyy said...

I'm not sure that the Buddying scheme would work - people may well consider themselves 'too cool' to be a buddy, or not want to give up their own personal time!

Neither do I and my brothers that much, but when we do - I always seem to come out worse!
:(

I agree completely! You cannot just magic the problem away with a click of the fingers - but I have to say that money could help at least a bit. The videos are just one idea, but there are probably many others, as Katy has pointed out. I must say though Katy, that having schools sticking their noses into people's business is not really ideal, and not really the school's place.

Thanks Jem (:

-mikey
[I now have a blogging account for this stuffs too because I have joined a new Spanish Blog! ]

Jemma said...

Hey Katy, thanks for commenting! I think kids with special needs are supported more in Secondary schools, often because there are more kids with learning difficulties and it becomes less of a “stigma“ which is brilliant. Glad to hear your brothers doing well!

Yeh, Mikey, I agree to a certain extent that schools really don’t and wont have much power. I’m not sure there is really much schools can do at the moment. Katy’s right though, with the background issues, generally the bullies are only acting the way they do to protect themselves. I shall take the “safe” option and go with the fact that possibly the government needs to get its finger out and work on council estates and benefits, and actually help with people that could arrive in situations that are harsh.

Dear mee, I’m beginning to sound like my essay on the NHS. I have an unnatural passion for all things Education and National Health Service related... You may have guessed. XD

[Ooooh snazzy Mikey! Makes commenting lots easier! :)]