Wednesday 7 November 2007

Parents Evening...


Ah, those two words that strike fear into every school pupils mind. It was mine tonight. I must admit, I was feeling a bit apprehensive with tonight's round of appointments as over the past few weeks I've felt my attention span wane and my focus go to pot. But as the evening progressed, the comments remained the same as they have done for the past 5 years, as did my views on them. Summarized, tonight's included:

~Art: "The first thing I remember of teaching Jemma in 4th year was when I strictly told her not to rip up her 6 months of work and start over with 2 months left. Of course, she went and did it anyway, and got an Int 2 A. That's talent coming through. She has talent, something you need to get through higher, and she will."
Uhhuh. I'm sure. My work is utter rubbish IMO. And he so made me sound mean, I wasn't, honest. I just wasn't happy with it so binned it elaborately. Its art, how can it not be coool? :D

~English:
"As you know I didn’t have Jemma before the summer, and I’ve come to terms with the fact I’ll never fill the shoes of her Total All-Time Favourite Teacher. *grin* But I think I'm sorta getting there. It was touch and go for a while, yunno like, which I can quite agree with as dear old Liz was a fantastic colleague. I mean I loved the ground she walked on, yunno so."
I've forgotten the rest of what he said as I spent too much time trying to remember what it was he was saying. There was something about all teenagers being weird and that Lara and I spoke in code. Also that he's only sent three emails in the past ten years. I think I'm doing okay though, he's a cool teacher. And Mrs O'Neill, sounds like you've got an admirer ;)

~History 1: "Other than using more Historians quotes in her essays, Jemma is very capable of getting a good pass at Higher."
The rest I forget as I was so astounded she got my name right. Despite the fact I've had her for 4 years now. And despite the fact she taught my mum when she was my age. She likes my doodling though, creative doodling is alright she says. Rock onnn.

~History 2: "Quietly efficient, but sometimes too quiet. I think Jemma you wrote it on your progress sheet that you needed to add more in class and I agree. You need to work on it."
Yes, this has been the same thing on all my teachers lips from 1st Year. I hate answering in class unless its on a subject I feel strongly about and I am sure of myself. Such a time has only happened once; in English before the summer on the subject of Daphne du Maurier, I know all there is to know so I'm okay with it. Plus the class rocked.

~Maths: "The most quietest girl in the class, *smile*, but always has been and I'm sure always will be."
Yup, too right. That's not changed in five years. Curse me stupid quietness.

So after that I'm left feeling sort of... disheartened with the whole thing. On one hand I'm capable of getting good grades in the next year. On the other hand, am I good enough, willing enough, to get them? I'm too tired to think tonight, which is probably the root problem with my unusual negativity, maybe in the morning tihngs will be looking up.

4 comments:

Liz O'Neill said...

Jemma - you are something else girl (note the creeping Americanisms!) You must post your blog where more TEACHERS can read it. It should become mandatory reading...

Please, please please - add your blog to http://www.scotedublogs.org.uk/

You made me laugh today... which was good as today was a tough day (too much mindless marking...)

Jemma said...

Thanks Miss! I've had a wee look at that site and my blog is officially added. At least I think so. Technical as a spoon, me. ;)

I'd imagine other teachers will just think I'm insane if they read whats in my Inner Monologue. Muwhahahaa...

Wayhey! I'm glad my parents evening was of some comical value! It always is to me but I'm too nice to point it out.. =]

Anonymous said...

heyy..i always get told im quiet every damn parents evening..i'm sick of it, teachers know im quiet in class with answering n stuff but it's not like i dont chat 2 my friends, when the teachers dont see..Do schools have parents evenings in fifth year?? im in the start of fourth year so i have no idea.lol wbs x

Jemma said...

Hey there! Yeh I'm invisible when it comes to a lot of my teachers too. :D Its quite good though, means you can chat without them noticing, or even better, they don't ask you questions.

We've just had our 5th year parents evening, its not really the proper one its just like a check up. Might differ in your school though. Good luck with fourth year! It was my favourite year, it and third year. Good times. Do comment again :)

(But leave your name, I feel like I'm talking to a ghost =] )