Saturday 3 November 2007

Where have all the teachers gone?


Yesterday I said goodbye to the last of my favourite teachers. Mr Bennie left the CDT Dept on Friday for a school half the size, with double the size of CDT Dept. I cant blame him for leaving, our department has been running on one teacher most of the year now and it really was unfair on him. Not only was Mr Bennie having to take on more work, but the pupils were missing out too.

Overall actually, our school is running on minimum teachers at the moment. As mentioned here almost every department is suffering due to short term and long term absences, job applications that no one turns up for... Its almost as bad as when our headteacher position went without anyone putting in for it. Surely situations like this is when blogs really can come in handy? If a teacher is going to be off for a long period of time due to illness or whatever, I'm sure they could easily access their computer and leave course notes for their pupils back in school.

Personally I think it'd be a great idea. At the moment I have no art teacher and my work rate is sufffering heavily, the class on a whole has missed its deadlines by weeks and my art study sheet lies empty. I know that if it wasnt for the fact I find writing essays on art fairly reasonable (dare I say I enjoy them?) and I'm able to research at home I would have no chance come exam time. But without a teacher, most of the class arent doing any work at all, in class or at home.

Clue blogging idea screen left. Our actual teacher whilst absent could then upload useful links, reinforce our deadlines (theres something about our cover teacher that no one can take seriously...) and generally keep teaching us over the internet. This way we wouldnt miss out too much as sites like Mikeys school's would mean we could have an "online classroom" so to speak.

Or maybe, just maybe, we could find some actual teachers?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! Leaving work on a blog would be a great idea! I currently have a French teacher who, through no fault of her own, is off from work regularly, meaning that the PT of Modern Languages is running ragged trying to get us taught! It would be a great idea to have a blog to help thost who are left teacherless!!

Oooh, I feel honoured to be named in your blog, as well as your side-bar widget *smiles* !!

Yeah, maybe the real solution to your school's problem would be some teachers, haha

-Mikey

Jemma said...

Maybe if they just met half way, some robotic cybertronic teachers perhaps? :)

I really think blogs could help in these situations, but when you go to explain what a blog is you get shot down because you end up saying, "But you cant access this in school so.." and that instantly puts teachers off.

Robotic cybertronic teachers who arent afraid of taking down the IT department and their internet blocks.

Perhaps. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeahh..exactly what I was thinking :D
Great minds think alike eh?!

-Mikey

Jemma said...

Innnit! We get dibs on any electronic blogging teachers that come about, right?

:D

Anonymous said...

Indeed (:

-Mikey