Tuesday 4 March 2008

March: Bad Month.


If my memory serves me correctly, which it probably doesn't but lets just pretend it does for this blog post, I have a Careers Meeting with the school this month. Generally I fear any meetings with my teachers and parents - see this post - I'm not actually sure why, I just don't cope very well in those types of situations. Could be because my "With Family" persona has to collide with my "With Teacher" persona, which is a really bad thing as I become virtually silent. They usually go something like:

Teacher: "So, Emma.. how are you finding classes?"
Moi- "Uh...Fine.." *nervous shrug, total abandon of eye contact, nod*


Which commences the teacher/parent talk that I just listen intently to, nodding when I need to. I fear this career-themed meeting may be even worse as I don't actually know what I want to do for the rest of my life. I have a fair idea of what I don't want to do, but so far no inkling as to what I will do. I'm actually tempted to say I want to be a Private Detective Lollipop Woman...

This month also sees the delivery of our Reports with our prelim grades. Everyone hates reports, right? I imagine that teachers probably dislike writing them as much as we like reading them. I certainly don't want to this year. If they are particularly funny or in the case of a few subjects, bitchy, I will post snippets on here. So you can all laugh.

Whilst I remember, E-Reports came up in conversation the other day. Does anyone feel this would be a good idea? I think this is alright in theory but I don't know how well it would work. For pupils who knew their reports were terrible, I'd imagine the temptation of the Delete Button would be overwhelming, and also some parents don't have email addresses. However, just because I don't know how well something will work doesn't mean we shouldn't try said thing. Who knows, by the time my kids are in school I could be reading Report Blogs and Skyping Parents Nights...

1 comment:

Liz O'Neill said...

In my school I receive emails from some parents just before parents conferences asking -how is my son/daughter getting on? I think it's quite good because you can sort of alert them to anything that needs to be talked about (or vice versa). Sadly the parents or students you would like to see don't usually come to parents nights. It is supposed to be a 5 or 10 minute meeting -not sure what can be accomplished in that- maybe a good thing however ;)